Monday, August 27, 2012

Treating Your Body Like Crap: It's a Multifactorial Condition!

I have lost fine touch sensation in the middle of my right foot. This is not good, but I hope it is transient.  There are four potential causes:

1) Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. I have Carpal Tunnel, so it's quite possibly I have developed tarsal tunnel as well. I noticed an unusual pain in both of my feet the past couple of days when using Wii Fit. I assumed it was due to the stiffness of the wii fit board. But perhaps my nerves are being crushed.

2) Malnutrition. So I've been dieting. I have lost 15 pounds in two months, which puts me at the upper limits of safe weight loss (losing 3.5 pounds per two weeks is frowned upon by Wii Fit, so I assume it's a little extreme). I could be anorexic. This is exciting--if only because this would be the easiest condition to fix. It would be a lot easier to take a multivitamin than to deal with the next two issues:

3) Chronic Alcohol Abuse. I could have a thiamine deficiency due to my excessive drinking; it could have been exacerbated by my low food intake. Thiamine is necessary in maintaining nerve health, and a deficiency frequently presents as numbness and tingling of the peripheries. I did not notice I had a problem, but I also stopped counting drinks this summer, so it's possible. I do not have Wernicke-Korsakoff's Syndrome yet, which is marked by confusion, mild amnesia, and confabulation. I guess I should ask my friends if my mental status seems appropriate and if they've noticed me walking around disoriented. I think I'm going to stay completely sober for the next five days and see what happens. Sadly, dealing with potential alcoholism would be preferable to the final cause:

4) Diabetic Neuropathy. I started crying when I woke up in the middle of the night and still couldn't feel the carpet underneath my middle toe as I walked to my kitchen. I really, really don't want to have the neuropathy creeping up my legs, starting at the age of 23. But I have other warning signs of peripheral neuropathy: orthostatic hypotension (I've always had it, but it's getting worse... I just assumed it was from dieting) and frequently waking up in the middle of the night. I need to go to Walgreens and purchase an A1c test. I thought I was doing a good job with my sugars, but I also thought I was doing a good job with my alcohol intake and my dieting. So who knows.

I should also probably see a doctor.
But I'm in medical school.
And ain't nobody got time for that.

Plan of Action:

  • Multivitamin (must have Vitamin B1, B6, and B12)
  • Limit alcohol completely
  • Test A1c; if above 7.0, make doctor's appointment


Update (3:41 PM 8/27/12): 
It was a thiamine deficiency! Or, it probably is a thiamine deficiency (I still can't feel my foot). I am excited though because it is probably a thiamine deficiency arising from not eating enough food or drinking too much alcohol--no, I most likely have a thiamine deficiency from taking too much Vitamin B12. Overdosing on one B vitamin can create a deficiency in the rest because they are linked together biochemically.

Updated Plan of Action:

  • A Multivitamin was purchased and it has all EIGHT B Vitamins
  • Still planning on reducing alcohol, but I won't stay away from it completely
  • Checked my A1c: it was 6.1. How low is that? It's practically normal. Huzzah!

No comments: