So today on the facebook, one of my high school acquaintances used the word "depresso" in a status update. That's a word I started using in high school to slant the word depression. If you're not depressed in high school, you're either doing something wrong or on way too many drugs. I am assuming she indeed picked up this expression from me, for which I am incredibly flattered. It is also possible that someone she knows now started employing the word, but that is less likely. The human language evolves much like living organisms. The likelihood of humans evolving identically but separately on two different worlds in our vast universe is impossible--which is, I must say, the largest error purported by Star Trek: The Original Series.
Regardless, I feel like reading Richard Dawkin's "The Selfish Gene," again. This book has the first mention of memes in the english language. Meme, like depresso, is a neologism. Neologisms fascinate me. I like making up words, I like using incorrect words in sentences. I have some type of aphasia. Or maybe I just l don't think before I say things. Either way, I wonder if something as trivial as meme creation could actually improve a person's quality of life.
How complicated is depression? Or is it as simple as the fact that you simply don't feel like you matter? I would say that helplessness, being in an existentialist rut, and self-loathing constitutes most of depression (I am not an expert; I don't know why I keep saying that I understand things when it is so clear to everyone else that I'm a loser).
Anyway, I'll just state a fact after rambling for two and a half paragraphs: it made me really happy that someone I haven't talked to in over four years used a word I had made up. I feel influential. It's a nice feeling. Thinking you don't matter is a really close minded opinion to take on world events.
And sure, depresso is basically one of the easiest words to make up, no real skill was involved, but still....
No comments:
Post a Comment